Skip to main content


Regulated substance

How to Apply for a First and Third Class License

A First Class License allows an establishment to serve beer and wine and the application is submitted to the town or city for approval.   An establishment that would also like to serve spirits may download and complete a Third Class License application.  Application for a Third Class License does not go to the town and may be submitted directly to the DLC with the appropriate fee at any time.

What is a First Class License?

A First Class License allows an establishment to serve beer and wine.  Establishments that intend to serve spirits must also apply for a Third Class License.  Only the First Class License must be approved by the locality before application can be made to the Department of Liquor Control.  Both the First and the Third Class License applications may be submitted to the DLC at the same time.


After prohibition many states chose to resume the legal sale of alcohol through licensed private sellers.  Eighteen states including Vermont and a few local jurisdictions opted for a different course – control.  Control States are jurisdictions that directly control the distribution and sale of beverage alcohol within their borders.


Laws and Statutes Related To Alcohol and Tobacco

Following are the Vermont Statutes Online as published by the Vermont Legislature.  (Note that DLC does not maintain these pages.)

Laws and Regulations

The Vermont Division of Liquor Control's Enforcement division exists to serve the public by preventing the misuse of alcohol and tobacco through controlled distribution and enforcement of the laws and regulations of the State of Vermont.

Subscribe to Alcohol