The Vermont Division of Liquor Control (DLC) has contracted with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct FDA-sponsored retail tobacco compliance inspections.
DLC Investigators are conducting checks across Vermont to ensure tobacco product retailers are adhering to federal laws. The inspections determine retailers’ compliance with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act and the Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents, found at Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1140 (21 C.F.R. Part 1140).
FDA-commissioned Investigators conducting retail inspections will focus on sale and distribution restrictions including, but not limited to:
- Age and ID verification
- Requirements for labeling and advertising of smokeless tobacco products
- Restrictions on the sale of single cigarettes
- A ban on certain candy and fruit-flavored cigarettes
- Prohibited self service displays and vending machines
DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Reports:
- 2020 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2019 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2018 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2017 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2016 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2015 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2014 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
- 2013 DLC Annual Tobacco Compliance Report
FDA and Vermont Retailers
The FDA provides a comprehensive website at http://www.fda.gov/tobacco to assist retailers in being fully compliant with the Tobacco Control Act. Their page on Compliance, Enforcement & Training has a “Resources for Retailers” section that includes:
- FDA Guidance on Compliance and Regulatory Information - comprehensive information for retailers, manufacturers, etc. regarding the new regulations and its timeline and requirements
- Commonly Asked Questions: About the Center for Tobacco Products
- Retailer Education Materials
- Regulations & Guidance for Retailers
- Tobacco Retail Compliance Webinars
- Retailer Training and Enforcement
- Overview of Federal Laws and Regulations
- Misbranded and Adulterated NSE Tobacco Products
Full inspection results will be posted on the FDA website. The site lists all retailer Warning Letters and a monthly list of inspected establishments where no violations were observed.
Questions regarding the compliance checks should be directed to the FDA at 1.877.CTP.1373 or AskCTP@fda.hss.gov.