Skip to main content

How to Apply for a Second Class License

This license is obtained by downloading the Second Class License application form and filling it in its entirety and submitting the application to the Town/City Clerk of the intended location with the appropriate fees.  At the next duly warned meeting of the local licensing control commission, the application will be taken up for consideration. If approved by the locality, the application gets forwarded on the Department of Liquor Control (DLC) and you will be contacted by a DLC Licensing Investigator.  The Investigator will request copies of your articles of incorporation or LLC.  If you're licensing as an individual, you do not need to produce articles of incorporation or LLC. 

All applicants will need to produce a copy of the following as well:

  • Trade name registration which is obtained through the Secretary of States Office
  • Your Federal employee identification number (FEIN)
  • Your sales and use certificate, from the Vermont Department of Taxes
  • Proof of training in regards to Vermont's liquor laws, rules and regulations through the Department of Liquor Control
  • A copy of your lease and/or proof of ownership of the property to be licensed
  • If you have employees you will need to provide proof of Workman's Compensation Insurance
  • If applicable, a copy of your naturalization certificate

You do not need all of the above paperwork to file your application with your locality; however, all this information must be provided to the DLC before a license may be issued. The process can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks after the DLC receives your application with ALL information required. 

Important to remember:  All documents must be in the name of the entity applying for the license.

Contact information for all of the above:

As always please familiarize yourself with Vermont Laws and Regulations concerning Liquor Control.