Skip to main content


1311 US Route 302, Suite 100, Barre, VT 05641

Manufacture Beer, Wine or Spirits

In order to produce and sell wine, malt, or distilled spirits in Vermont you will first need to start at the federal level.  Contact the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) and apply for the necessary approvals and permits.  This can be a lengthy procedure and the DLC recommends that you start your federal application process at least 90 days in advance of your planned start of operations.  Once the federal approvals and permits have been secured, you can apply for your Vermont Bottler's License for Malt, Vinous, or Spirituous Beverage. 

A Manufacturer's License for Malt, Vinous, or Spirituous Beverage allows the production of vinous, malt, or spirituous beverages.   The Wholesale Dealer’s License allows producers of vinous or malt beverages to sell and distribute at wholesale, malt and vinous beverages to retail dealers in Vermont.  Wholesale Dealers will also need a Solicitor's permit for every employee who solicits orders for the company.  Spirits can be listed with the DLC and sold through our DLC retail agencies.

There are numerous ways to showcase and sell your products as a manufacturer in Vermont after you have obtained the proper approvals and licenses at the Federal and State level.  The Vermont Bottler's License for Malt, Vinous, or Spirituous Beverage allows you to produce wine and sell it to Wholesale Dealers in Vermont. You can apply for a Wholesale Dealer’s License to sell your own products to Second Class licensees (stores).  Wholesale Dealers will also need a Solicitor's permit for every employee who solicits orders for the company.

  • Farmer's Market permits allow you to conduct tastings and sell by the bottle at a Farmer's Market.
  • A Fourth class license at your manufacturing site or at another off site tasting room allows you to sell to consumers by the bottle or by the glass for tastings.
  • Special Event permits  will allow you to take your product to any event and sell by the glass or unopened bottle.
  •  A Wine or Malt Tasting Permit allows you to conduct tastings on the premises of a Second Class licensee (store).
  • Direct Ship Permits - Consumer or Retailer -  allow you to ship to consumers or retailers both in-state and out-of-state.  These permits require annual and semi annual reporting.

A Special Events Permit allows a licensed manufacturer to sell by the glass or by unopened bottle spirits, fortified wines, malt beverages, or vinous beverages manufactured or rectified by the license holder at an event open to the public that has been approved by the local licensing authority. For the purposes of tasting only, the permit holder may distribute, with or without charge, beverages manufactured by them by the glass within the restrictions outlined by law. Manufacturers looking to attend one single event, must each seek their own Special Event Permit, per Act 73 which was effective July 1, 2020. Act 73 also eliminated the cap of 104 Special Events per year. The statute now requires the Department to limit the total number of Special Events Permits issued to one manufacture to no more than 10 in the same physical location.

As a reminder, Vermont is a Bottle Bill state requiring registration of containers with the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) and labeling for deposit on containers of covered beverages per 10 V.S.A. §1522, §1524, §1528.  To register your company, and brands under the Vermont Beverage Container, Deposit and Redemption legislation visit For information on Vermont’ Beverage Container Deposit law visit For all other Bottle Bill questions contact Rebecca Webber (ANR) by email ( or phone 802-828-1138.