Vermont is a control state. Controlled states are involved in the sales of spirits, malt and wines, the licensing of manufacturing, wholesale and retail businesses and the enforcement of laws related to these areas. We are also responsible for providing training in order to obtain a license.

If you are interested in obtaining a license to sell alcoholic beverages in Vermont you need to fill out the appropriate application for the type of business you wish to conduct in Vermont.  Forms can be found by clicking on the application link above.


Not sure what type of license is right for your business?  Click on the instructions link above where you will find types of licenses and step by step instructions on how to get the license you require.





Application Fees:  As of July 1, 2013, licensing fee's have changed.  Click here for the new fees.  There are also three new licenses avalable.  Outside consumtion permits is now a license as well as the Request to Cater and the Industrial Alcohol License.   Please click on application forms at the top to find these new licenses as well as all of our other licenses.


Direct Ship to Consumers:    As of July 1, 2013, Malt Manufacturers can now Direct Ship Malt products directly to consumers.  The new application is available under the application forms at the top.


Commercial Catering License: The Commercial Catering License consists of a First and/or Third Class Kitchen License and a Commercial Caters License. This allows caters licensed by the Health department as commercial caterers (not a restaurant, hotel, or caberet) to sell malt, vinous or spirits at a catered function.  Licensees only need a commercial kitchen area and not a on premise dining area. Commercial Caterers will need to file a request to cater form in each town that they hold an event  Those forms must be at DLC at least 5 days in advance of any event.


Art Gallery or Bookstore Permit: This license allows Art Galleries or Bookstores to serve wine and/or malt beverages at events held on the premise.  These permits are for six hours only and there is no limit on how many an Art Gallery or Bookstore can get in a year.  These licenses need the City/Town approval before coming to DLC and must be here at DLC at least 5 days before the event.


Second Class Licensee Holders:   Second class licensee's can now ship vinous beverages out of state provided that the licensee follows the guidelines for importation of vinous beverages into that state. The law does not allow for shipping to consumers in state.